Navigating the System
A Guide for People with Traumatic Brain Injury and Their Families

I'm a Veteran with a TBI who is looking for employment. Are there resources to assist me with that?

Sep 25, 2013, 10:26 AM
YouTube Code:
Meta description:
10, 20, 30
The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) program assists eligible veterans who have service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs.

For Veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, the program offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.

You can apply for this program online at Or you can go into your nearest VA office and fill out VA Form 28-1900.

It’s important to know that there is another program that might be helpful to you, whether or not you have VA benefits. The Arizona State Vocational Rehabilitation program is available to any Arizona Resident who has a disability and could use help in finding or keeping a job.

You can apply for the State program while you are waiting for your VA eligibility determination and get started on a Vocational Plan. In some cases, this will get you into services faster than through the VA alone. If you are made eligible for VA services, your State VR counselor can coordinate with your VA counselor to help you make the most of the range of services available from the two programs.

If you have a TBI and are not ready or able to go to work, you may benefit from applying for the State Independent Living Rehabilitation Services Program (ILRS).

Even if you are NOT eligible for VA benefits, you can apply to the Arizona State programs.

And if you ARE eligible for VA benefits, you are still allowed to apply for the State program as well. It does not reduce your VA benefits to receive services from the State program.

You will find links to the VA and State Vocational Rehabilitation programs on this screen.
Brain Injury Alliance
© 2013 Brain Injury Alliance of Arizona. All rights Reserved. Disclaimer.